Check out all of what’s new in South Dakota along with upcoming events in 2018 and recent accolades.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rushmore South (Rapid City)
The Brand New property features a microwave and fridge in every room as well as a free express breakfast bar each morning to boost your visitors energy.
- Deadwood Mountain Grand (Deadwood)
The Deadwood Mountain Grand has been named the number one resort property under the InterContinental Hotels Group, Holiday Inn Resorts flag in the entire world for 2017. The resort in Historic Deadwood is known for hosting blockbuster concerts year round.
- Under Canvas Mount Rushmore (Keystone)
Combining pristine nature and luxury accommodations, Under Canvas Mount Rushmore is set to open in the summer of 2018. Situated among pine trees with views of the iconic Mount Rushmore National Memorial, the tents feature in-tent bathrooms, showers, king size beds and utilize solar power.
- Holiday Inn & Suites and Crooked Pint Ale House (Sioux Falls)
The Holiday Inn & Suites will open in 2018 and feature 116 modern décor guest rooms and suites with balconies overlooking Elmwood Golf Course. The property will also house the Crooked Pint Ale House, a classic pub with the feel of a local neighborhood restaurant.
The new Deadwood Welcome Center includes exhibit and display space; 24-hour space with information areas and restrooms, along with an indoor trolley waiting area and transit turnaround area. The facility also houses the Deadwood Chamber of Commerce & Visitor’s Bureau. Access to Whitewood Creek and Whitewood Creek Trail, which runs adjacent to the Welcome Center, is available onsite.
Brew Pubs, Distilleries, Wineries
- Black Hills Contraband Distillery (Box Elder/Rapid City)
Visit Black Hills contraband and taste the secret original recipe passed down from generations over 40 years. Visit the public tasting room open Monday-Thursday 2-6 and Friday 12-7. Sample all the exciting liquors at the only fully licensed distillery in South Dakota.
- Bread & Circus Sandwich Kitchen (Sioux Falls)
Two locals have come back home from Portland, Oregon to serve up locally-sourced, mouthwatering sandwiches in historic downtown Sioux Falls. Bread & Circus strives to serve handcrafted food with unique flavors such as Porkstrami and Vietnamese Friend Chicken.
- Pistachio Pie Bakery (Rapid City)
Rapid City’s newest bakery strives on serving freshly baked pies every day from scratch. Lauren Moir, a Rapid City local trained at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, has brought her passion for baking back home to serve the Black Hills 13 different flavors of pie.
- Remedy Brewing Company (Sioux Falls)
Remedy is the newest addition to “brewer’s row,” the collection of local breweries in downtown Sioux Falls. Try the Queen Bee Imperial Honey Cream Ale or the Cow Tippah Chocolate Milk Stout, then head next door to K Restaurant for dinner and live music.
- Mount Rushmore Brewing Company (Custer)
Mount Rushmore Brewing Company features 24 rotating taps of seasonal ales, porters, and stouts that are available from a direct-draw tap system. Featuring a full menu restaurant and outdoor concert venue, the brewery is yet another addition to the growing craft beer scene in the Black Hills.
Miners Morning, Deadwood
Be the first to tour the Broken Boot Gold Mine in the morning, complete with a Miner’s Breakfast consisting of a world-famous pastie! Hear how it was to be a miner back in the 1800s and what challenges they faced, as you tour the 19th century Broken Boot Gold Mine. Practice gold panning at the Broken Boot, then head to the Deadwood Welcome Center, grab a gold pan, and walk to Whitewood Creek with a gold panning guide to try your hand and panning – and keep what you find! All tours require 48 hour advance reservations.
TOP EVENTS TIMELINE 2018
- Annual Black Hills Stock Show and Rodeo | Rapid City – January 26 – February 4
- 60th Annual Schmeckfest | Freeman – March 16-17, March 23-34
- Forks, Corks and Kegs | Deadwood – April 6-7
- Fort Sisseton Historical Festival | Lake City – June 1-3
- 70th Anniversary of Crazy Horse Memorial and Volksmarch | Crazy Horse Memorial – June 2-3, September 30
- 50th Annual Red Cloud Indian Art Show | Pine Ridge – June 3 – Aug 11
- Mount Rushmore Rodeo at Palmer Gulch | Hill City— Summer 2018
- Wild Bill Days | Deadwood – June 15-16
- Czech Days | Tabor – June 15-16
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial Independence Day Celebration | Keystone— July 3-4
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant | De Smet – July 6-8, 13-15, 20-22
- Corn Palace Stampede Rodeo | Mitchell – July 17-22
- Sioux Falls Jazz Fest | Sioux Falls – July 20-21
- Days of ’76 Rodeo and Parades | Deadwood – July 24-28
- Sturgis Motorcycle Rally | Sturgis – August 3-12
- Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup and Arts Festival | Custer – September 27-29
- Christmas at the Capitol | Pierre – November22 – December 26
- Frontier Christmas | Sisseton – December 2018
- 1880 Train Holiday Express | Hill City —November & December 2018
- M.B. Haskett was named the best eco-friendly/farm-to-table restaurant in SD by Travel + Leisure
- The 2017 Michelin Green Guide awards its highest star rating to South Dakota’s Black Hills and Badlands area.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial is included in a list of America’s Most Popular Statues by The New York Times Online
- CBS Sunday Morning covers South Dakota in a segment titled Mount Rushmore’s Chief Carver Gets His Due
South Dakota Department of Tourism
711 E. Wells Avenue, Dolly Reed Plaza
Pierre, SD 57501